Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I'm just trying to get some legal advice about my employment

Hello, I'm just trying to get some legal advice about my employment contract, I'm already in a discussion and paid extra 21 GBP and I would need more Q&A
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In London, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I'm already in a discussion with your colleague But it stopped I paid extra £21 and it confirmed that the Q&A would continue but it didn't.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm connected to a lawyer already but he is not responding after 21 GBP has been processed

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Ben, thank you very much. I would be very pleased to answer your questions.

What would you like to ask about your contract? If possible, please upload it on here and I will take a look

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would prefer to continue with the Q&A
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Please find attached my contract

OK no problem and thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Firstly, I would like to know if I have been performing duties of PR & Marketing Officer for the past 2 and a half years, can my boss alter my work activities under the same job position, and for big those alternations may be. Ie, may be suddenly just limited to answering the phone and folding brochures into boxes, sending post etc? Also, can she request in an annex that I may not communicate to our HQ in Croatia, even if I for instance need guidance on how to protect myself or my rights at the workplace. Especially if I have to make a complaint against the Director, my boss. We are just 2 people employed in the office, so the only person to turn to in the office is my boss.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Under what conditions she may limit me to just speak and communicate to her?

Many thanks for your patience. Under contract, your job role is that of PR & Marketing Officer. So this is what you would be primarily required to do. However, under Clause 3.3.2 and 3.3.3, the employer could ask you, from time to tie, to undertake additional duties as necessary. So they could potentially ask you to do the duties you mentioned, although this should not be a permanent change, but just a temporary one, as and when required.

They could also say that you should not be communicating with your HQ abroad – there is no legal right to do so and they could potentially introduce such a requirement – it is not illegal for them to do so.

Any issues should be dealt with through a formal grievance procedure, where you raise a grievance with the employer. After that, your rights only apply if you are terminated or resign, that is when you can potentially make a claim against them, either for being unfairly dismissed or for having been pushed out of your job.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Under what conditions it may be illegal that the boss may decline a holiday at certain time periods?

It is legal to do that – they have the legal right to decline your requests for holiday, no matter when it is. All they have to do is give you the required notice by law and that is at least as long as the holiday you want to take. So as an example, if you wanted to take 3 days holiday, they can tell you at least 3 days before it is due to start that they reject the request and that is legal. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, thank you very much. If I receive an annex to the contract, how long I am allowed timewise to read it?

Nothing specific in law to be honest, it should be ‘reasonable’, but that is open to interpretation. Usually a few days is considered enough