Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

What period of notice were Companies required to give their

What period of notice were Companies required to give their employees to enable them to comply with the data protection act of 25.5.2018
JA: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No one yet. I just need the facts.
JA: Is the relevant person an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Does the person belong to a union?
Customer: No, its a Company. No unions are involved
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Nothing more to add. Just need an honest reply

May I just check, is there any particular reason for asking?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes. it is just possible that their was some maladministration. We can talk by 'phone if you are happier with this.

Thank you. I am not available for a phone call at present but will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry, I am not prepared to pay any more for this

Can I just check, what compliance with the DPA specifically are you asking about?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
E

E?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Exactly as per the question. It is to do with the lead up period prior to inception.
With respect, it is simply a factual response as to what if any, time period, or specific period for training was deemed necessary prior to the implementation date of 25.5.2018

There is nothing specific in law which says an employer must give its employees X amount of notice to comply with the GDPR. Ultimately, it is the employer’s responsibility to work that out and they only had to ensure they are compliant by the date the law came into force, but how they did that is entirely up to them. So there is no direct answer to your question I’m afraid – you can trawl through the whole GDPR but you won’t find any specifics on how much notice the employer should have given its employees in relation to training them for the changes.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is there any organisation that a Company had to confirm to that they were compliant. In essence, for an employee or contractor to receive a letter after the due date would hardly be satisfactory/

No, there was no requirement to notify anyone, just to ensure that all practices and policies were compliant with the new laws

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Very good. Top marks.Thank you.

All the best