How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9020
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

There is a chance that one customer to take me and the

This answer was rated:

Hi there! There is a chance that one customer to take me and the company I work for as self employed to Court. I just want to know if and how would that affect me. Thanks
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No legal steps. Just being cooperant with the customer service, trying to solve the situation in a amiable way
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Could you please give further details of the dispute. Is it a claim for a debt or negligence?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not at this stage. They are just trying to solve the issue on amiable way. The dispute might not actually happen, but I need to k ow what to do in case anythingike that happens...

OK, they would first of all have to send a letter before action to you to allege some wrongdoing and give you a period of time to pay them (to avoid court proceedings).

If you disputed their claim and they issue one at court, the court sends you a response pack (see attached) to fill in and return. It is important you respond to the court promptly as if you do not then the claimant can request default judgment which means they win (and there is a court order against you, commonly known as a "CCJ").

If you have insurers you may need to notify them of a claim (unless the claim is for debt).

It is easy enough to defend a claim and you can of course come back to this site for ongoing help if you need to.

Is there anything else I can clarify for you?.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for this! What do you mean by being easy enough to defend a claim?

The claimant will seek damages and they have to say why you have done something wrong or what you owe - I meant that responding to the claim is easy enough, using the form I uploaded. In a small claim (a claim up to £10,000) then you wouldn't need a lawyer either as the court process is easy to follow.

If they do pursue you, I can help you reply to them or help with the court forms if you wish. If you are a member of the Just Answer site you can ask as many questions as you like for the membership fee (which is more cost-effective than formally instructing a law firm).

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much! Do I have the option to speak again with you, if something?

Yes, you can come back here, that is not a problem.

Have a good evening.


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks! You too!