JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I was a customer with media but cancelled my contract 30th

I was a customer with virgin media but cancelled my contract 30th July 2019. I had to give 30 days notice so it was terminated 30th August. I was told I would have to pay £31 in September but would receive a refund of said amount but virgin media are telling me they never received the payment. I rang my bank and they said it was took out of my account on the 9th September and as it was a direct debit virgin media was the only ones who could have requested it. I have a bank statement stating that it was took out of my account on this date also. Virgin media have now told me to contact my bank and claim indemnity. I did and my bank informed me I can't as virgin media already took it from my account and it doesn't fall into that category. What can I do?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Belfast
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoke to virgin media on the phone, I have sent emails with a photo of my bank statement highlighting the payment. I have phoned my bank. But all I have got is the run around.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thats about it. Thank you

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You can allege breach of contract against Virgin Media (you have consumer rights here which have been infringed in my view).

Given the circumstances of your case I recommend that you make a formal complaint against Virgin Media and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a final response letter (a "deadlock" letter).

You can make the complaint with them here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-complaint

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the adjudication scheme (CISAS) - they will investigate and liaise with Virgin Media which would hopefully result in a refund of any monies paid. They can also order the phone company to make a financial award if they have acted badly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service - if they do not provide that then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of Virgin Media's conduct.

You can escalate to the adjudicator here : https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas

If you have lost any money then you could sue Virgin Media but the court may consider that to be premature if you do not go through CISAS first of all.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim