How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9159
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My wife and I have a problem with Gedling borough council in

This answer was rated:

my wife and I have a problem with Gedling borough council in Nottingham.The council have caused damage to our garage and other parts of our property.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: what happened is that the council resurfaced a walkway at the side of our property which has covered the blue bricks at the side of our garage which when we get heave rain - the rain soaks into the bricks at the base of our garage - when we get a frost it burst the brick at the base of our garage causing the garage to be unsafe to people and children walking past. What also happens is that we get contaminated water( with Sewerage ) flowing into our garage.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: We have had two people visit from Gedling borough council who refuse to accept responsibility - the resurfacing would not have been done by anyone else - It is a council maintained walkway!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried to give a view of what has happened - The garage wall at the side of our garage worries me especially that children and their parents wald down the walkway going to school or shops!

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You may well have a claim against the council. You have the option of either pursuing them yourself (with a surveyor's report, which complies with the court rules - I can find a couple of experts for you), or to instruct a law firm on a no win no fee agreement.

Which would you like further details on?

JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you