C.Cornel
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
105439980

Thanks for being available to us. I am not a UK resident and

Hi, thanks for being available to us. I am not a UK resident and my daugher studied in UK on a partial scholarship ( donor organization is based in UK) where i had to cover some amount of fee. Due to serious financial hardahip, i contacted the school she was at to ket them know that i was not able to pay the fee and requested if they issue a discount otherwise my daughet would not have been able to finish studies there. The school.director contacted the same funding org and advised me a week after i sent the school.director my concerned email that the fu ding org was taking on the bill and i didnt have to worry about anything. It was 6 months ago.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The funding organization is now telling me that that was in fact a loan and not additional grant and that i ahve to start repayment
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am in eastern europe
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried to explain them that nobody ever communicated with me about this money being a loan for which case i would not have accepted this money. They are not threatening me to pay thia money otherwise they will impose financial pressure on me
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
One important addition is that i have not been presented with any documents and i have not committed myself to any payments or loan. This came in total.surprise

How much money are they claiming to be repaid to them?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
2500 gbp
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry, i would rather have written communication. No call pls
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Excuse me, are we still connectes

If you never agreed to pay this money, you do not need to pay it and you should insist that you were led to believe it was a grant and not a loan and that you never agreed to paying it, so you are not bound to pay it.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That is what i understand but the fund is claiming that they put undue immediate financial.pressure on me. What does that mean?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What mechanisms this fund can possibly use against me moving forward? I guess they are blackmailing to scare me by saying it but i want to hear from UK law perspective. Thank you so much
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Are we still connected Sir?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Will you answer my two.last qs?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What mechanisms this fnd can possibly use against me moving forward? I guess they are blackmailing to scare me by saying that they will pressure my family but i want to hear from UK law perspective. Thank you so much
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sir pls respond before i go to a rating section. I wasnt done with rhat one question

Hello. My name is Cornel, I am a licensed lawyer from the UK.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Cornel, can you please advise on my question?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Dear Cornel, are you still here?

Yes, I am reading your messages, please give me a minute.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Can you tell me in which country are you living?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Georgia
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
There was no notice on the loan, no communication, no signatures from me whatsoever,

I see, well, generally they would not be able to pursue any claims against you. Therefore, you are safe.

There is a complicated legal procedure between countries but it would be very difficult, costly and unlikely that they will pursue the claim.

Therefore, simply ignore the claim.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much. I was given the same advise by the local.lawyer just now. That i am high grounded and have documentation that i was never advised of such a matter. Thanks

My pleasure, yes, you are absolutely safe in this regard.

Please don't forget to rate the answer using the rate button on top left corner.

C.Cornel, Lawyer
Experience: Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Of course. Thank You!