Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Just wanted to ask if a company can put a time limit on

Hi, just wanted to ask if a company can put a time limit on holding goods that have been fully paid for?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I am from the company and want to know before I put details of our policy on our website
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: So we are a bespoke tailor, who make suits etc for clients. Clients either pay 50% upfront or the full amount. We have a number of suits that have either been paid in half or fully paid that customers have not picked up for over 1 year. Can I legally set a timescale for customers to come back in to collect their goods?

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

What is your current collection policy?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you mean the collection time period?

yes

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We don't have one. Most customers pick up their items within 2 weeks of them being ready. Some take 2 or 3 months and very few take over one year. We do not want to have to hold orders for longer than 3 months, but I wanted to find out it we legally can do that

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. You are indeed able to put in such a clause and introduce a time limit for collection, before you absolve yourself of any responsibility for these items and potentially dispose of them. However, to be valid, this needs to be a clear clause included in your terms and conditions, which the customers were made aware of before purchase and which they accepted. In addition to that, I would also suggest you operate a reminder system, where the customers are notified, the closer the deadline gets, that they have an uncollected item and that it may be disposed of if they do not collect it within the set time limits.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Yes, thank you very much

All the best