12826847

This is regarding the stolen moped sold to me by auction,

Customer Question

Hi this is regarding the stolen moped sold to me by auction, I’ve started the process you instructed me to do, thank you.One last thing, my local police officer was asked by met police to come to my address and get some information about the bike, once the officer came to question me he was informed that the bike was purchased through auction and that i had all paper work to show him, but this officer decided to recover the bike from my garden.I followed this up with the Sargent at met police and she said they didn’t authorise the remove of the bike and he shouldn’t have.My question is did the officer break any law/rules by recovering it without any warrant or authorisation if so what. Thanks
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hi, Police evidence is not my area I am afraid - I would suggest they would have had to have a warrant to remove it. They probably just seized it due to it being stolen property but I will opt out of this for a criminal lawyer to answer this for you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Im not sure what your question is about this?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi, just needed to know if they needed a warrant to remove my vehicle when the officer was only instructed to get information which would’ve concluded it without the removal, but instead it was removed then released to me with towing fee
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for the information

No, they can seize it under PACE.

They are alleging it is stolen property.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.