How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9094
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I was wondering if you could help me with a claim i would

This answer was rated:

good evening - i was wondering if you could help me with a claim i would like to make, i previously lived with 2 boys in a rented house (we have now moved out) but they now owe me £1000 in various house related fees
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: the house was in woking, but im now in ashford, middlesex. the boys have now moved to devon and...... i think the other place is called workington? somewhere far up north
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: do you mean ive taken? all theyve done is avoid me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is free advice isnt it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today. You will need their full names and addresses in order to pursue a small claim. Do you have those or would you need them to be traced?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello, i have their full names. i dont have their exact addresses only where abouts they have gone, but i could potentially find out
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry didnt realise the call me button would cost extra

Thanks, ***** ***** need their address so that the court can serve them details of the claim.

If you cannot find out then try this tracing agency which employs ex-Police:

The call is optional - if you want to cancel the call just send an email to***@******.***

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
before i start to try and get their addresses, i wanted to make sure you think i have enough prove to win a case

It's easy to prove a civil case as you just need to show they "likely" owe you - the burden of proof is only 51%....

Once you have the addresses, send them a letter before action (template attached). Give them 14 days to pay - if they do not then start the claim at the site.

The court issue fee is £60 for your £1,000 claim (it is added to the claim sum and you can also include the tracing fee if you have to trace the defendants).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
as i do not have a signed money contract with them - ive wrote out a couple trying to get them to sign but they constantl

It's OK, you can still pursue them even if there is nothing written.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have already given them notice, the last contract i wrote up i put on it that if they do not sign
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ive written it all down, i even have text message conversations where they have agreed they owe as much as they do
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they just havent physically signed anything

That's OK, like I say you don't have to have something written down to win a claim. It helps but it's not fatal to a small claim.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if i didnt have anything written down wouldnt it just end up one word against the other?

Yes it would - your word against theirs. All you need to show is that you paid the house related fees and the other tenants were jointly liable for them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
oh thats a lot easier than i thought
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i actually thought it was be more difficult

Yes and also you can come back to this site for further help - these claims are easy to do and you wouldn't need to instruct a lawyer.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do i have to send another letter to them of is the fact i wrote it on the contract and handed them a copy to sig
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thankyou for your help

I would send them a formal letter before action to threaten court action in 14 days unless they pay. You can email it to them and include your bank details for payment.

JimLawyer and 8 other Law Specialists are ready to help you