JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I was wondering if you could help me with a claim i would

good evening - i was wondering if you could help me with a claim i would like to make, i previously lived with 2 boys in a rented house (we have now moved out) but they now owe me £1000 in various house related fees
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: the house was in woking, but im now in ashford, middlesex. the boys have now moved to devon and...... i think the other place is called workington? somewhere far up north
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: do you mean ive taken? all theyve done is avoid me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is free advice isnt it?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today. You will need their full names and addresses in order to pursue a small claim. Do you have those or would you need them to be traced?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hello, i have their full names. i dont have their exact addresses only where abouts they have gone, but i could potentially find out
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sorry didnt realise the call me button would cost extra

Thanks, you would need their address so that the court can serve them details of the claim.

If you cannot find out then try this tracing agency which employs ex-Police: http://www.bnhassociates.com

The call is optional - if you want to cancel the call just send an email to [email protected]

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
before i start to try and get their addresses, i wanted to make sure you think i have enough prove to win a case

It's easy to prove a civil case as you just need to show they "likely" owe you - the burden of proof is only 51%....

Once you have the addresses, send them a letter before action (template attached). Give them 14 days to pay - if they do not then start the claim at the http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk site.

The court issue fee is £60 for your £1,000 claim (it is added to the claim sum and you can also include the tracing fee if you have to trace the defendants).

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
as i do not have a signed money contract with them - ive wrote out a couple trying to get them to sign but they constantl

It's OK, you can still pursue them even if there is nothing written.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i have already given them notice, the last contract i wrote up i put on it that if they do not sign
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ive written it all down, i even have text message conversations where they have agreed they owe as much as they do
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
they just havent physically signed anything

That's OK, like I say you don't have to have something written down to win a claim. It helps but it's not fatal to a small claim.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
if i didnt have anything written down wouldnt it just end up one word against the other?

Yes it would - your word against theirs. All you need to show is that you paid the house related fees and the other tenants were jointly liable for them.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
oh thats a lot easier than i thought
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i actually thought it was be more difficult

Yes and also you can come back to this site for further help - these claims are easy to do and you wouldn't need to instruct a lawyer.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
do i have to send another letter to them of is the fact i wrote it on the contract and handed them a copy to sig
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thankyou for your help

I would send them a formal letter before action to threaten court action in 14 days unless they pay. You can email it to them and include your bank details for payment.