SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Assistant: How can I help? I need advice on my rights as a

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I need advice on my rights as a tenants when landlord gives wrong name on the tenancy agreement
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Birmingham UK
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: don’t think so

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Who's name is ***** ***** tenancy agreement?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

0

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Lea
Landlord’s name is ***** ***** name
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That corporation changed name months before the tenancy started
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yet the old name is ***** ***** tenancy agreement as the landlord and the letting agency signed on behalf of the landlord.

Do you have a copy of the tenancy agreement? If yes, please attach it using the paperclip.

Who owns the property?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When we wanted to move in, the agency sent us the documents to fill in and sign. And then they did all landlord parts, I only noticed the name is ***** ***** months ago
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Our contract is coming to an end in a month and we are planning to renew. The letting agent again sent us an agreement with the old name
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I kind of lost it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don’t have an electronic copy at hand
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As both the landlord and the agency have been very unsupportive from day one, I want to give them both a lesson. When I raised it they said oh sorry we ask the landlord to confirm the new name.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is for the renewal.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But I want to use the existing contract and give them a lesson
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just don’t know how

What lesson were you hoping to teach them?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think they both need to be fined
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The landlord for providing the wrong info and the agent for not checking ir collaboration

Under what law?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That’s my question
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there any law

I am sorry to disappoint you but there isn't a law that will allow anyone to be fined for making an error on a tenancy agreement. Particularly since you have drawn the error to their attention, they have acknowledged it and said they will chase up the new name.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They can get away with the false / fake identity but tenants can’t , is that the the case ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I know they made an error an didn’t want to get away with the tax

The question would actually be whether it was a simple error or an attempt to deceive. As you got what you bargained for (renting the property,paid your rent, got to live in the property), it is very likely to be viewed as an error, not fraud.

If you think they are tax evading, then you can report them to HMRC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I had not brought it to their attention it would then be treated differently
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is that’s what you are saying. Have I got that right?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You make an error once and you do it again for the renewal

No, whether you brought it to their attention or not, there is no law that states that there is a fine available for putting the wrong information on the tenancy agreement.

The problems are most likely to be theirs - as if they wanted to evict you they would have to prove the company on the agreement existed and that it owned the property. If they couldn't do that, they couldn't evict you.

Please accept and rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page as that is how I am paid for assisting you today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is nothing I can basically do. No they had all their rents on time and delayed repairsFor 7 to 8 months

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about the incorrect name on the agreement.

If you have not had full use of the property, you might have a claim for disrepair.

Kindly rate positively.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Helpful to know there is no law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just a bit impatient to get the rating
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nevermind.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Your negative rating means I don't get paid for the time spent assisting you.

I appreciate the answer wasn't what you wanted, but it is accurate and I should be paid for my time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The rating was not for the answer was for the attitude of keep asking for rating before asking if that’s all I needed support with

It is possible to continue asking questions after you have rated - the rating is for the initial question asked, not all the follow ups.

All the best to you.