UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I could use advice on a product which was not delivered as

Customer Question

Hello. I could use advice on a product which was not delivered as specified. I hired a steelworker to build a bespoke door on 29 August 2019. I drew detailed, dimensioned architectural drawings. We discussed the drawings in person. I paid half of the total amount as a deposit. The steelworker said it would take 3-4 weeks to deliver the finished product. He finally delivered the frame for the door (but had not completed the door itself) on 1 November (9 weeks) and did not expect to deliver the door for a further two weeks as he had not ordered the glass for the door until 31 October. However, the frame was built the incorrect dimensions and bent. The builder and I did not see how this bent frame could work. The builder and I had tried numerous times throughout October to receive the item only to receive it incorrectly made. I had no faith he could deliver the product correctly at this point, so I requested full reimbursement of the deposit. The delay was also significantly delaying the building project. The steelworker does not want to return the money as he spent time and money creating the door. However, it was not built as specified and is unusable. He wants to meet tomorrow to discuss. I feel I am fair. I always pay what I owe. However, in this case, I feel I am owed full compensation.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: I am in the UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted the steelworker via email explaining problem with door frame and requested full compensation within 24 hours. He did not respond to my email, so I emailed him again. He did not respond to that, so I texted him and he requested we meet. If he was going to fully compensate me, he would have done so.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thank you.
Expert:  UK Solicitor John replied 8 days ago.

Ultimately this is a contractual claim. If the contract has not been fulfilled as agreed by either party it amounts to a breach of contract which essentially makes the said contract void. When this happens both parties should be able to return to the position they were in prior to the agreement.

This is the general consensus but contract law isn’t always as black and white as this. Essentially if there is a dispute which cannot be resolved, it will have to be for the court to decide. To do this, you should commence legal proceedings against him for recovery of the sums you feel is owed to you. Due to the value you can do this online via the money claims online website located here https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

This must be a method of last resort and the courts prefer if steps are taken to try and resolve matters before hand. But if it is not; and the situation reaches an impasse then you will have no choice but to seek recovery through court.

I hope you have found my answer useful. Please take a moment to provide a positive rating. The thread remains open for any further questions you may have. And do remember to return to the site if you require anymore assistance. All the best, John.

Expert:  UK Solicitor John replied 3 days ago.

Hello. Please take a moment to provide a positive rating for my time in helping you. I would be grateful. Thank you.