JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I had a plumber replace my shower as it was running cold, he

I had a plumber replace my shower as it was running cold, he was recommended by shop owner where i was able to buy the replacement part, he called round, it seems the piece would not be suitable recommended replace the unit, agreed a price, called to do the work, arrived home from work tried the shower it was running scalding hot, phoned him, came out to adjust says it was his fault connected wrong way round, next day called him back again, shower running cold, came out says it was water pressure, we had the exact shower prior to this and always had good pressure, since then we have phoned, left messages and text to rectify, no answer, he has not been paid yet, how long do i wait before calling another plumber?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: Could you advise please what i can do.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: west yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: telephone, left msg. text
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What can i do as i need the shower working as it should

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you this evening.

My view is you are within your rights to instruct another plumber now - the previous one has not carried out the service with reasonable care and skill, so is in breach of contract under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I would not recommend you pay the previous plumber - the work sounds very poor and non-payment would be justified because you have strong consumer rights. I recommend you get another plumber out as soon as possible.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim