Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I rent a a house and shared it with a couple of friends who

Customer Question

I rent a a house and shared it with a couple of friends who promised to contribute towards rent an bills
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We fell out for many reasons I ave asked the person to live she does not want to
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: does basicaly it please ask any specific questions needed
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 5 days ago.

Welcome to JA

I will review your question and will return to you today.

Please note this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We are based in London England

Thanks for your patience.

Please can you confirm the person is not named on the tenancy agreement between you and the landlord.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She is not named on the tanancy. She does not have a tenancy agreement with me either.

Given your landlord is the owner of the property I suggest you contact your landlord ASAP to take the necessary legal action to remove the person from their property.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
we want to remove her stuff from the propert and chance the lock, when she is not in the house.
What are the legal consequeces for me?

That is probably not best of ideas because you will need the landlord's permission to change the locks and thus you could end breaching terms within your tenancy agreement.

That said given your landlord is not party to the agreement between you and the person in question and also the landlord did not approve the agreement then he/she can use the required legal route to remove the person from the property.

I hope I have clarified the position, if not please let me know

However if I have clarified the position, please rate the assistance provided by using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service provided in future.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have explained the situation to landlord, they also wantbthe person out asap. It was the landlords suggestion to remove my sub tenant that way and change the lock. I just be sure this can be done legally without affeting me

To stay on the safe side I suggest you contact your landlord who can undertake the correct legal steps to remove the person. i.e he /she can consider possession proceedings as an option.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry lm not geeting clear advice. The landlord ask me to remove the bad person (G) from the house. Landlord did not put her in the house l did. The person does not want to leave. I want wait when she goes out and remobe her stuff and change the lock. Is this legal?

Given you are the person immediate landlord, thus changing the locks is arguably an illegal way to evict someone and can be deemed a criminal offence

I hope I have clarified the position.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks mate

Your welcome.

Please before you leave JA please rate the assistance provided by using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 4 days ago.

I note you have reviewed the answer in view of this please before you leave Just Answer today please rate the assistance provided by using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service provided in future.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.