Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I hope you are doing well. I am about to extend the lease

Hello,I hope you are doing well. I am about to extend the lease for my leasehold flat.Because the legal company was introduced by the management agency, it could potentially be a conflict of interest or some pre-agreement between them that I am not aware of.I would like to know the lease extension they are asking me to sign, is on my best interest, and I would like to know if I'm not loosing any rights or opportunities by agreeing to these terms.I have used you in the past and I was very happy with your service.Thanks,
Eduardo
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Extension attached.

Hello and thanks for requesting me - unfortunately this is a question which is not within my area of law. I will open to it to all other experts and someone will hopefully pick it up soon. Please do not reply to this as it will just lock the question back to me. Many thanks

Hi, I am happy to assist you. Please give me a few minutes while I go through the Lease extension.

Kind Regards Al

Hi Eduardo I have now reviewed the Lease extension.

It is good to see that the Lease is to be extended for such a long time- normally a Lease extension normally only grants an additional 90 years to the existing Lease! The only major thing I would say is that it implies that you are not paying any money for this Lease extension. Is that correct?

I confirm that the rent is a peppercorn which means in effect that it is zero.

There is one item that needs to be amended- the definition of your current Lease is referred to "Existing Lease" but in line 3 of the definition of Incorporated terms at the bottom of page 5, it refers to it as "the Lease". So, the Solicitor needs to delete "the Lease" and put "Existing Lease" in its place.

Also, in the same paragraph (bottom of page 5) there are too many brackets and some of them need to be removed- your Solicitor will make sure this happens as it is just a typographical error.

Apart from the above, I confirm that the document is in pretty standard format and there are no onerous or unusual provisions and is therefore in your best interests.

I hope this helps and if so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer with 3-5 stars.

Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Aston, thank you for your response. I will forward your comments to the legal company. I have only paid 650 for the legal services (lan registry, legal services, etc.). The freehold is hold by a company which I own 'one share' of it. In effect I own the lease and share of the freehold via the limited company that owns it. Maybe that is the reason why there is no fee to be paid. But your comment is very fair, there is no cost in it. Shall I worry or ask them to clarify? thank you!

Hi Eduardo, thanks for your reply. It makes perfect sense that you aren't having to pay anything for the Lease extension as you own a share in the Freehold so you don't need to question this. Your legal fees also seem reasonable.

Many thanks for rating my answer.

All the best Al

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Aston. All the best.

Thanks!