How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1320
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I have been with my employer for nearly 8 years. I was

This answer was rated:

I have been with my employer for nearly 8 years. I was advised that the team I am working in was going to be restructured back in August, just verbally, nothing in writing. I had a meeting with my reporting line and his boss for a chat about this where they asked me what I wanted. As there has been no obvious ´next steps’ for me it was hard to answer this but I gave some parameters and it was left as an ongoing conversation to follow up on with some ´advice’ on how I should push back more on certain requests both internally and externall in order to progress and also in order to make sure i was not working so many hours outside of my contracted hours and avoid me ´burning out’ I then had a general catch up with our HR an went through some of this confirming that it was hard for me to come out with a progression plan when I didn’t know what the new structure was going to be and what my direct reporting line was going to be doing. I had a meeting today with my reporting line, his boss and Hr re restructure and Waac basically presented with the new structure as a ´fait accomplî saying that I was not ready for a director title ad I had not taken the lead from our previous conversation and I didn’t have management experience. I will be reporting into a Director coming back into the business after over a couple of years sick leave and we are scheduled to have a team meeting tomorrow. I feel pushed aside and I have not been given the opportunity to prove myself or apply for this position. I would really appreciate some objective professional advice as feel at a loss here and I feel very pushed aside. Thank you
Assistant: Have you discussed this scheduling issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I had a meeting today with my direct reporting line, his boss and our HR director
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I have been an employee since December 2011 working 4 days per week contractually
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is the second time it has happened to me within the 8 years
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm what was the result the first time?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was told that I was not ready
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any advice? I have not been given clear targets in writing or progression plan. We have actually not had an HR dpt as such until recently

Hi, thank you for your message. I would recommend that you do the following:

1) I would recommend that you write a formal letter to them setting out your claim stating what you want from them. This is also know as raising a grievance with your employer through their grievance procedure. You can also follow the ACAS code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures here: The emphasis of this Code is to try to resolve grievances informally, without reverting to a formal procedure, or to resolve them with the help of a third party (mediator). If an informal grievance is not possible you can start a formal grievance. This should be done in writing and should set out the nature of the grievance. Your employer should invite you to a meeting following the grievance. I would recommend that you bring a companion to the meeting

2) Contact the ACAS helpline. The ACAS Helpline can give advice on internal processes and policies to help you through this (0300(###) ###-####. Before calling ACAS gather all the evidence relevant to your. They should be able to liaise with your employer on your behalf and resolve the matter.

3) If your grievance doesn’t get the result you want, you can take your employer to a tribunal. You'll have to notify Acas first. Acas is an organisation that provides independent support to help sort out employment disputes. They'll see if your employer will agree to a process called ‘early conciliation' - a way to resolve disputes without going to a tribunal.
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.

Joy Nicholas and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your answer and information I will follow up accordingly.