JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My question is can the Claimant, in my case my landlord, ask

Hi, my question is can the Claimant, in my case my landlord, ask for further money and put it towards to my rent even the judge ordered that the application by the claimant to be adjourned generally and be struck out if not reinstated by 22 October 2020.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I was in court because my landlord [the claimant] wanted to evict me wrongly, they accused me not to pay the rent but I gave the judge as evidence my account and it was clear to see that I didn't miss a payment. And now after I won and I'm not evicted my landlord wrote me a letter that I have to pay the court costs. the landlord missed the appointment and I was alone in court why I have to take on the court costs?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Potters Bar
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you this evening.

You are not liable for the court costs as quite simply, the claimant did not win their claim. The usual order is the losing party pays the winner's costs. That has not occurred and there is nothing the landlord can do to change this. If they want to ask the court, let them - their application for costs would be struck out as having no merit. If they do escalate this, feel free to come back here and I would be happy to help you respond to the landlord and the court proceedings.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim