How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14904
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

I submitted a complaint with an architect a year ago, who

This answer was rated:

I submitted a complaint with an architect a year ago, who subsequently threatened to sue me. I then escalated this complaint to her registration board who fined her £1000 for unprofessional conduct for three points; submitted an incorrect planning application (which was my initial complaint), for not dealing with my complaint appropriately and that she did not provide adequate terms of engagement. She accepted all three matters of unprofessional conduct.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I submitted a request for full refund including compensation for additional money spent to correct her error, this mainly due to all three points she admitted misconduct to. The architect has now passed this onto someone for legal advice and has now submitted a statement from a 'consultant' that denies all the points she admitted to during the investigation by the registration board. I understood that this was a legal document (the final report) as a lawyer was involved and it was almost held during a panel, I also provided a witness statement. She did not want to proceed to the hearing. I have recently sent another letter after her response, due to what I believe is a possible breach in data confidentiality and refuting her new statement that her work was completed to an acceptable standard.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They wont confirm when I will receive a response and I am not sure what next steps to take and what my rights are? Thank you


Thank you for your query. Have you reported the matter back ronher regulatory body?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No not yet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They also advised thought that they couldn't intervene in: Order your architect to put right something which has gone wrong, or award compensation for poor service. Only the courts can award compensation


If this is the case, your next course of action would be to issue a sim against her in the county court.

How much could the potential claim be worth?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is a SIM?

Claim, sorry, predictive texting

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The refund amount I am requesting is £1949
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No problem, thank you for clarifying
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know you may not have enough information to make judgement but what is the likelihood that I have a case and to be successful with my claim?

Ok. I suggest you do the following:

Write to the architect demanding the return of the fee within 14 days as the service was not of satisfactory quality. You should further state that if you do not receive a full refund, you will issue proceedings without further notice.

If at the end of the 14 days you have not received a refund, you will have to issue your claim. Youncan do this online at:

Based on what youbhave stated, you have a claim What the merits are, I cannot say for sure without having sight of the documents.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks for your advice. I initially gave a month for my refund but i will make it clear as you have stated above of the 14 days if not that I will issue proceedings. Thanks again

It's a pleasure.

Kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Many thanks

INC Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you