ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

If my husband left his wife years ago who he had kids with

If my husband left his wife years ago who he had kids with but now lives with me and our kids but we are not legally married- he is still married to his first wife - what rights do my kids have over his assets if something happens to him? This is in UK
Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.
This situation depends largely on whether your partner does leaving a will or not. If he does leaving a will, his assets would be divided as per his request via the will.

If there is no will, the rules of intestacy applies. What this means therefore is that his wife would be entitled a share of his estate as well
As all the children, inclusive of yours. The clear disadvantage to this is that his wife would still benefit in the case of intestacy notwithstanding them having separated. This would clearly reduce any share the children may be entitled to.

You may want to encourage him therefore to leave a will.

I hope I have clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of assistance. Kindly take the time to rate the services received.

All the best

RL
Customer: replied 14 days ago.