ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

I had a home insurance they increased the premium 5x so I

Customer Question

I had a home insurance they increased the premium 5x so I cancelled but they want me to pay two month which ws equal to the whole year as they said I have cancelled after the 14 day automatic renewal
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Richomond , Surrey UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: complained to the company
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes I had a threatening letter fromtheir solictor
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist .
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
You will find that most policies do have what is called a cooling off period which in most circumstances is 14 days. You must therefore check what your policy says in this regard. If it is you cancelled outside a cooling off period you may find that you are liable to the insurers to pay.

Cancelling of direct debit payments will not cancel the monies owed to the insurers so be very careful not to simply cancel a direct debit payment.

An option available to you is to make a formal
Complaint to the financial ombudsman. You may be able to argue that the notification period was too short and did not give you adequate time to opt out of the renewal. Please see there details below:

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

I hope I have clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. Kindly take the time to rate the services received.

All the best
RL