chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Accepted a quote from a plumber to fit a new bathroom. We

Customer Question

Accepted a quote from a plumber to fit a new bathroom. We are pleased with the look but the shower is not working properly neither are the taps over the sink. We paid him for the job in full. He asked us not to run any water in the shower for 48 hours until all the sealant had dried. He did not come back to check everything was working.After contacting him, he came back to check the pump and told us it was adequate to do the job. We obtained a report from the manufacturers of the shower and the pump he supplied and they both agreed he had fitted an incorrect pump. The plumber is disagreeing with their findings and is now insisting we pay for another pump (£300) plus and wants the money upfront before ordering this. Should he be expected to put this problem right first?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Chesterfield. I am dealing with this problem on behalf of my brother who has a mental disability. He lives in Derby.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as yet. After consulting with plumber he emailed us late last night asking us to forward the money for this new pump before he orders it. We have already paid over £100 for the one he has already fitted.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No any advice would be helpful
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 7 days ago.

Tha k you for your query. When you pay for a service there is an expectation that the service is carried out with reasonable care and attention and any work which is done is of a satisfactory quality.

In your case, as the work is not of a satisfactory quality, you should tell the plumber that unless he replaces the pump and completes the work to a satisfactory standard, you will.be left with no alternative but to have the work completed by someone else and then pursue him for the cost of doing so through the courts.

Hopefully, this should.do the trick!

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks