How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13404
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

About two years ago we served notice to quit for material

This answer was rated:

Hello. About two years ago we served notice to quit for material breach of contract to our landlord. We offered several months notice & no restrictions on viewings. He refused to engage with us, so we left the deposit in lieu of rent. We heard no more till six months ago when he filed a county court judgment against my husband but not myself claiming unpaid rent & damages. However, his lettings agents confirmed at the time of our departure that he wished to make no claim for damages & the checkout report notes only improvement. The tenants’ deposit service & the lettings agents acknowledge all rent due was duly paid. He has systematically refused to communicate with me, responding only to my husband, which, as I informed him (in an email he ignored) is a violation of the Landlord & Tenant Act. We are due to appear in court to defend the claim against us & make a counter-claim in December, however, I am not listed on the claim. How can I be added, so I can speak for us?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Richmond, UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We’ve done everything the county court asked, submitting our statement with all the supporting materials & evidence.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No


Thank you for your query. You can add yourself as a Defendant by making an application to Court.

You will need to complete Form N244 and file this at court with the request that you be added as a Defendant as you were also party to the agreement.

The court will then list it for an hearing to add you.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

chatham-chamber and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you!

Its a pleasure.

Good luck!