chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

About two years ago we served notice to quit for material

Hello. About two years ago we served notice to quit for material breach of contract to our landlord. We offered several months notice & no restrictions on viewings. He refused to engage with us, so we left the deposit in lieu of rent. We heard no more till six months ago when he filed a county court judgment against my husband but not myself claiming unpaid rent & damages. However, his lettings agents confirmed at the time of our departure that he wished to make no claim for damages & the checkout report notes only improvement. The tenants’ deposit service & the lettings agents acknowledge all rent due was duly paid. He has systematically refused to communicate with me, responding only to my husband, which, as I informed him (in an email he ignored) is a violation of the Landlord & Tenant Act. We are due to appear in court to defend the claim against us & make a counter-claim in December, however, I am not listed on the claim. How can I be added, so I can speak for us?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Richmond, UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We’ve done everything the county court asked, submitting our statement with all the supporting materials & evidence.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your query. You can add yourself as a Defendant by making an application to Court.

You will need to complete Form N244 and file this at court with the request that you be added as a Defendant as you were also party to the agreement.

The court will then list it for an hearing to add you.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Its a pleasure.

Good luck!