How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 669
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

Can a Local Authority charge for Deferred payment on care

Customer Question

Can a Local Authority charge for Deferred payment on care home fees with no legal agreement in place?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dudley, West Midlands
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have been sent a bill for care homes fees that includes deferred payment amount now that my Mums house has been sold, but i am pretty sure nothing has ever been signed to agree this
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your response. Happy to keep open if an answer may be found within a week. Thanks Vanessa
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is Ed. I am a solicitor qualified in England and Wales and will be able to answer your query.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, Care Home fees do not follow normal rules of commercial contracts. They are like Council Tax: Local Councils can charge them by reason of statute or by-law even if you haven't agreed it with them.