F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have had almost 4 months with my present solicitor (PCS

Hello, I have had almost 4 months with my present solicitor (PCS Legal) trying to get to exchange on sale & purchase conveyancing. Everytime I query progress I get told that they have dealt with all enquiries & are awaiting responses from my buyer's solicitor. When I query this situation with my buyer they come back & say their solicitor has not had their queries answered by my solicitor & this keeps on happening again & again. I have sent emails complaining about the people dealing with my case but no change & my emails dont get answered except for occasional calls out of the blue from my solicitor main focal point stating that he has dealt with all queries but then get the same answer as before from my buyer stating that his solicitor is still waiting for answers to queries; some dated Sept ie 2 months ago. When I complain they get a customer service person to send an email just stating matter of fact points that have been actioned but no-one advises what went wrong/what happened or what is the progress so I get nowhere !! What do I do to finally get told exactly where I stand & when will I exchange contracts (they have sent the report to me which I returned within 2 days with a few queries only which have subsequently been dealt with apart from 1 query that I am still awaiting an answer to BUT no-one will tell me actual progress & this drags on day after day/week after week. I am so frustrated & stressed by the lack of communication yet they do not answer my emails let alone respond to emails asking whether queries have been actioned. I have been sending emails updating my buyerbut then upset my buyer as they respond that it is my solicitor holding up things & I agree with them. So I am now feeling sick & despise all solicitors because of the poor service from PCS Legal. What should I do to resolve all this mess ?? Please advise asap/
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I tried talking to another solicitor ( my sellers) who I thought might give me steer in the right direction to end this saga but they will not act as conflict of interest. UK/england based case.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Complained to my solicitor but very poor response with little action
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I chose y solicitor via comparison website where I subsequenty chose CMS Law to represent me in my conveyancing but they subcontracted it out on fixed fee basis to PCS Legal. So when I complain I do it to CMS law who just pass it to top people in PCS Legal who then just send an email stating various basis information but not answering my concerns.

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

are you asking if 4 months is a reasonable time or not?

what stage exactly is the paperwork at at this moment do you know?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
NO, I know it can be 4 months. Am approx. near to exchange.

It is very common for one solicitor to blame it on the other and vice versa although if any of this information is coming from the agent, I wouldn’t believe a word of it because they are no Tory as we unreliable and fear mongering.

You need to make a formal complaint in writing to the firms complaints Partner and if that doesn’t give a satisfactory result make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. If you have already complained eight weeks ago, and it is still not resolved, you can complain to the Ombudsman now.

You are at liberty to instruct another solicitor and it could well be the case that another solicitor would start from scratch and be quicker than the ones that you are currently dealing with.

Looking at the bad reports on Trust Pilot, you are not the only one that has these problems: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/pcslegal.co.uk?languages=en&stars=1

Whether you decide to use another firm of solicitors are not really comes down to what the problem is and what the reality is as to how close it is to exchange. I have known people turn up at solicitors offices and sitting reception and refuse to leave until someone came down and saw them and explain what the problem was with the file in front of them.

When the job is finished, you also have a claim to get some money back in respect of the costs because they are in breach potentially of the provisions of the Consumer Rights Act for failing to carry out the job firstly within a reasonable period of time and secondly for failing to carry it out with reasonable care and skill.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES