How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7507
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

The tax office has put my money in the wrong account

This answer was rated:

The tax office has put my money in the wrong account somebody else's my accountant gave them the wrong bank details and I am struggling to get this back off whoever account it is
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lincoln
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have told my accountant he put the wrong bank details down on my self assessment he has been in touch with the tax office apparently they cannot claim it back some for some reason
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today. I am typing out your answer.


This is a case of professional negligence, so you first of all need to send the accountant a letter of claim.

I have uploaded a template letter which you can use to tailor to your situation.

You need to give them 14 days to acknowledge the letter and once they do, they have up to 3 months to confirm their liability decision. If they deny liability (which is unlikely in your case as the error is clear and obvious) then you can commence county court proceedings using the form N1 (copy attached) and post 3 copies with the court fee to County Court Business Centre, PO Box 527, Salford, M5 0BY.

The court fee is depends on the sum claimed and details can be found at page 5 here:

The correct template letter is now attached for you.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you he is trying to get it back through action Fraud shall I wait for him to do this

It's entirely your choice - that could take months but you do have up to 6 years to sue them so if you prefer to avoid litgation at this stage then yes, that may be a good idea. I would tell them you want reimbursement soon and I recommend you keep pressure on them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been with this accountant 13 years he has had my details for that long last year he put the wrong details on but I got in touch with the tax office and told them they was wrong so they changed it and sent it straight to me this year he has done the same with the same account number as last year but I was on holiday and it already gone through when I got back he has had my correct details for 13 years but for the last two has put the wrong ones down

No problem, it is a serious mistake though so you should consider suing for professional negligence (they will have insurance to claim against) unless they can reimburse you.

I hope I have helped. Before you go please don't forget to rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars on screen and clicking submit.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you