Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I received a enforcement letter from an agency requesting

I received a enforcement letter from an agency requesting that I pay Council Tax dating back 2001/2003 etc.#I never received a liability order and I really dont think I owe the money but I did not keep the records so long. What can I do now I really do not want to pay for nothing
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hi, thank you for your message. Why do you not think that you owe the money?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
if i owed them in 2001, why would they come 18 years later in 2019 to claim the money.
I don't keep my records for so long so i have no proof whether or not it has been paid.

Hi, thank you for your message. You will need to write a formal complaint using their complaint procedure and ask them to provide you with all evidence that shows you may owe the money.

I would strongly recommend that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you. You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location).

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am happy to rate you but please explain what do you mean to write a formal complaint procedure? Did you advise me before I should request the liability order?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have one more question please: The enforcement letter is on a company name which is not the company owing the property but I am the director of both.
Do the bailiff still has the power to enforce or as the company is different it has no power? I am director of both companies

Hi, thank you for your message. The agency/our council will have a complaint procedure that you can follow to complain about the payment that they alleged that you owe. No I did not advise you before. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer to your original question otherwise I receive no credit for help you today.

I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes I will rate you but you did not answer me the second question: The Council issued a liability order for a property on a different company than the one it is registered on. I am the director of both companies. Is the enfor cement valid if its on a different company?