How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 66847
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are running building company with very good reputation. However we have one customer which owns our £4200 even we completed all the main works and only finish bits left to do. The total project cost was 19450
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We send him emails and messages asking to pay at least £1000 that we could carry on the works as amount he uphold is to large regarding the outstanding items. He made his own estimate what he thinks each items cost and want us to agree to that before he pay anything we need to agree to his terms. We refuse to do that as he estimate outstanding items for amout of £4150 which was ridiculous to compare what we done so far
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There was no signed contract but all the quote, payment and any problem we have with this customer was well documented

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Why is he now estimating the cost? Did you provide a full breakdown of your quote prior to commencing the work?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My quote was very detailed

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Many thanks for your patience. If you have to take it further because he is not paying then If a party wishes to pursue another for a debt arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the debt in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.