12826847

Can someone be recharged with the same criminal charges

can someone be recharged with the same criminal charges years after being discharged at an old style comital hearing in the uk
JA: What were they charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?
Customer: Armed robbery with violence
JA: Where did the robbery occur?
Customer: at an engineering factory in London in the 1980s
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I know that the 2 men involved did definitely do it

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don’t know what if anything can be done to rectify this,I was married to one of the men that did the robbery and was unable to do anything about it due to the circumstances that I found myself in,ie I am a survivor of 25 years of an extremely violent marriage.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The hearing was held at Haringey magistrates court

Thanks for the information

If there was an old style committal then that is a terminatory ruling and the matter cannot be revived as it would offend against double jeopardy.

It is possible to prosecute twice but not for offences like armed robbery. It would need to be crime of the century to justify that.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.