How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23347
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

About a month ago a car crashed through 8 feet of our hedge

This answer was rated:

About a month ago a car crashed through 8 feet of our hedge and into our greenhouse. I have the perpetrators information but cannot get anywhere. Our insurance company want £450 excess which we cannot afford and our insurance premiums will go up. As none of this is our fault he admitted to speeding in a 30 mile an hour area I think it totally unfair that we have to pay for the damage to our property what is your advice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In East Yorkshire Fimber YO25 9LY. It is in the country
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have reported it to the police. I have an incident number but they have not got back to me and when I told them that neither the perpetrator nor his insurance company would speak to me they just told me to ring my own insurance company and that is as far as I can get
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have photographed it and have also photographs of the rescue vehicle. I can't think of anything else

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you asking if you can challenge this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The same thing happened 5 years ago and the culprit's insurance company arranged everything. I don't think we as pensioners should be landed with the cost stress and hassle which we came home from church to find

Ok, so what is your question?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think so. It is yet more money to pay out. Thank you anyway. I was just wondering what I should do next

I have when asked to look at this for you. I’m not altogether certain what the problem is here because the matter is straightforward.

If he won’t talk to you and he won’t pass it on to his insurer or is insurance won’t talk to you (some of the large insurers are absolutely awful the claims) then it’s absolutely straightforward, you issue Small Claims Court proceedings against him for whatever this has cost you. is quick and easy. You can prepare the proceedings now, and save them online ready to issue them whenever a deadline expires.

It really is a simple as that. He then either passes it on to his insurer and his insurer deals with it or he ends up in court and you get judgement against him.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23347
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Stuart J and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for this I will try later to proceed with this advice. I am very grateful

I am glad to help.. If anything else crops up, just post up and we will deal with it for you.