Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I run over friends grass and dig myself in there in wet

Hi, i run over friends grass and dig myself in there in wet weather so i did some damage. I was told that the same happened to them previous week but now the "friend" wants me to pay for new turf and when i said no he said he will take me to court.... i need some advise please? Thank you Teresa
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im between Wakefield and Leeds
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing to be honest.... the guy sent me nasty messages about my 6 years old behavior as he was in their care for 2.5 hours before i got suck on their grass
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: on the day i apologized and was told that it was fine and that the same happened with them week ago

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, ok what's the question?

Do you know whether the turf was already damaged when you went over it, and do they want you to replace all of it?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
they said that the same happened to them week before so Im guessing it may have been damaged but i didnt take no notice... i thought we were friends so im still in shock that this is happening
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The guys said that he wants me to contribute and he will get gardeners quote

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst you may indeed be guilty pf negligence and be responsible for making good any damage you have caused, that does not mean you have to pay for the whole garden to be re-turfed. Also, grass will recover in many circumstances and only more serous damage would need attention. So all you would be expected to do is patch up the damaged area, rather than sort out replacement for the whole lawn. Also, any previous damage caused by someone else would not be your responsibility.

So there is nothing stopping them from taking you to court but it will go do the Small Claims Court which is not really high-risk even if they claim and win. All you would have to do is cover the costs he court decides are needed to fix the damage but you won’t have to pay for their legal fees for example.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
hi, i have notification that you have reply but i cant see it?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
oh no... sorry i have got it now
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have tried to offer them seeds to make it better but they refused and have confirmed that they want to take it to court. They also claim that they will have some landlord fees due to this that they will want court to recover from me. Can they do it?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I just don’t want to pay god knows how much for something that seem so trivial.. :(

Haver you tried to estimate how much it may cost to fix? That may be the best thing to do initially so you can determine what to offer them to try and fix this and if they still make a claim – at least you have some evidence to argue that you should be liable for

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
sorry i dont quite understand "evidence to argue that i should be liable for?" what does that mean please?
I have asked someone to have a look at it to give me a quote. Should I offer to cover the full cost?

I mean that by getting a quote of the work needed to fix the issues caused by you, you could use it as evidence of what you would have to cover in the event this is taken further. So if they are asking for a lot more, you can use this as evidence of what you are actually expected to cover. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
yes thank you

All the best