How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 36866
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I been wrongly accused of false accounting. I was chairman

Customer Question

Hi, I been wrongly accused of false accounting. I was chairman of the PTA and in the minutes it was agreed that I would use the father's day money raise from the stall to pay for next year's father day presents and I would pay the difference into the account. I did this but went off sick for 2 weeks and in my absence they had a meeting and said I was guilty of false accounting. This was spread around the village community and I am struggling to get work now with this label attached to me. I have the minutes of the meeting which proves my innocence as they said I hadn't told them when or where I brought the presents but it says it in the minutes!! I tried to raise it with the board of governors but they did not want to know. So I thought I could make a small claim in the small claim court to point out to the judge that I didn't falsely account anything, I only follwed what had been agreed in the minutes and I was ill for 2 weeks hence delay in handing everything over. my business is suffering and I just want to clear my name. I don't work and I doubt I can claim legal aid but I missed out on one contract that could have got me several hundred pounds. We are classed as financial and we are at the food bank. I kept hold of the father's day presents because I want my name cleared and for them to formally agree the difference which I wanted to ask the Judge to adjuicate on but now they are saying that I have committed theft and I have to meet with the Police next week. I haven't stolen anything, I just want my name cleared so I can hand over the presents and focus on getting my business up and running and earning an income to support myself and my daughter. Due to the lies I am extremely concerned that they will come back, if I hand them over now, and accuse me of something else. Mrs Cansdale reported me to social services when she learnt I wanted to take this Court, she told them I had serious mental health issues and that I heard voices in my head, that I harmed my daugther and that I filmed my daugther in order that it stopped me from harming her it was such an upsetting and distressing time. She is telling everyone not only false accounting but that I am thief, she scares and all I want is to clear my name. Can I apply to the small claims court myself with this request as I can't afford a solicitor and it is such a simple straightforward case? Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Shropshire, united kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Other than to try and raise it with the Board of Governors nothing. I thought I could put it in the small claims court but am worrying I might not be able too now.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

When did this happen?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was 1st July I received the letter and then I think it was around 18th July that they ruled me guilty of false accounting. Due to the summer holidays the Board of Governors were not accessible until September and they threw it out. They said they deal with the finances of the PTA but they do not get involved with disputes. I was going to go to the small claims court as it is a simple enough case beginning of October but then Mrs Cansdale rang Soical Services and we went through 3 weeks of proving our innonce and that Freya is fine. I got their response of case closed end of October hence this week I wanted to file at Court but worried now that it won't make the small claims court.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are in financial hardship and at the food bank because I can't get work due this false accounting label so can't afford a call sorry.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Can I just check, what is the claim you wanted to make in the Small Claims Court exactly?