How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14920
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

I bought my council house in 1988. My back garden is next to

This answer was rated:

I bought my council house in 1988. My back garden is next to a public footpath and there is a very long, high hedge between the two.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: After I bought the house the council cut the footpath side for years but more recently they haven’t. Now they say I have to cut both sides.
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: the deeds appear to say it’s joint responsibility and there is a diagram but I don’t really understand the legal language
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you.


Thank you for your query. What exactly is your question in relation to this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As a party boundary should the council cut the hedge on the footpath side?


As it is a party boundary, the assumption is that each party would be responsible for maintenance and upkeep of their side of the boundary hedge. Therefore, the Council should be responsible for cutting their side.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

INC Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you