chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I bought my council house in 1988. My back garden is next to

I bought my council house in 1988. My back garden is next to a public footpath and there is a very long, high hedge between the two.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: After I bought the house the council cut the footpath side for years but more recently they haven’t. Now they say I have to cut both sides.
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: the deeds appear to say it’s joint responsibility and there is a diagram but I don’t really understand the legal language
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you.

Thank you for your query. What exactly is your question in relation to this?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
As a party boundary should the council cut the hedge on the footpath side?

As it is a party boundary, the assumption is that each party would be responsible for maintenance and upkeep of their side of the boundary hedge. Therefore, the Council should be responsible for cutting their side.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,