Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I just got married and my employer is asking me to bring the

I just got married and my employer is asking me to bring the marriage certificate to see the surname .
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northampton
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. They told me yesterday to bring it today.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

What reason have they provided for wanting to do this and how long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They what to see my surname. More then 2years

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. It is not unreasonable for the employer to ask to see some formal proof of your name change because they have to keep accurate records and for official thinks like a name, they would need to see official confirmation/evidence. If the marriage certificate is the only thing you have which shows you how the name was changed, then you may eventually have to supply that to them as evidence. However, if you have something else, like a new passport or a deed poll change of name, then you can use these instead, Just be aware that they will be able to ask for formal proof though.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All sorted. Thanks

All the best