Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We have used a professional photographer to shoot and edit

We have used a professional photographer to shoot and edit images which we paid for and have put on our web site . She has issued an additional invoice for extra work ( which we have evidence to disprove) which take the final bill to over 3 times her written estimate we have disputed the invoice and refused to pay . She is now threatening to take us to court as we are in breach of copyright for not paying her additional invoice
JA: Where is this? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: The quotation and first invoice was for approximately £2000 we we have paid the additional invoice is for a further £3600
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: Nothing so far just the threat if we don't pay , We are in Gosport Hampshire she is from Leeds
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this stage Thanks

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Does your evidence clearly state what you wanted and were prepared to pay for?

and how long ago was this?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes she issued a written quotation but no contract she has subsequently claimed that the hair and make up artists we provided were poor and created the additional cost she has now invoiced for , although she failed to mention this during the shoot two months earlier she also failed to mention that she was running up this additional invoice whist doing the editing . We had anther professional photographer on site on the same shoot doing video work who has confirmed in writing he had no issues with either hair or make up

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst estimates are just that and not strictly legally binding, any additional costs must be reasonable and ideally to have been discussed with you at the time. For example, you should have been given an opportunity to consider these and decide whether to proceed with the further work on that basis or cut your losses there and then, or even just discuss options to keep the costs down.

So whilst she may be able to claim some extra costs for any genuine additional work, which would have been reasonable in the circumstances, she may struggle to recover the full demand from you and you could challenge this on that basis.

There s nothing stopping her from taking this further but as the claim will go to the Small Claims Court, it is very low risk for you and even if you lose you won’t have to pay her legal fees so your exposure to any large costs is limited.