Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

At the moment myself and two other friends are looking to

At the moment myself and two other friends are looking to rent a flat in London. One person had put themselves down as the name on the property and go through the checks associated with it, the lead name has also got a guarantor that’s has been accepted. Myself and a friend will also be staying at the property, do us both have to go though the same checks even though we are not down on the property. I thought that we would just provide the basics such as identification, showing the right to rent and maybe a reference from previous landlord.
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: Where is the flat located?
Customer: london.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that’s it, just that they’ve asked referencing to be done through and agency and it seems maybe too intrusive for people not listed on the property.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm why are you not listed in the contract?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m not listed on the contract because of the oldest member putting there name down, eg also paying the holding deposit and normal deposit on the flat. Also they have a guarantor as added security.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The person who is paying the deposit and signing the contract is the most experienced, more financially stable.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They are in there 50s, I’m 21 and there partner is in there 30s.

Hi, thank you for your message. If you are not listed on the contract than you are not seen as tenants and therefore do not have to go through the same checks as everyone else. However, if you do intend to live in the property you should be listed in the contract. You will need to clarify this with the landlord. I would recommend that this is done in writing so that you have written evidence to show that you will be living in the property.

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.