Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am wondering if a verbal agreement is enough to sue. A

Hi I am wondering if a verbal agreement is enough to sue. A meeting had been agreed but no contact signed and a portfolio had been sent to which wasn't to our preference therefore cancelled the services.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the UK. Midlands
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The person has told me to pay 50 percent of the money, no money has been passed over so far. He has sent me text threatening me with legal action. Then has found my address possibly through work as I have never given him my address and has given me 10 days to respond before taking legal action. I wanted to know where I stood
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all that I can think of at present. Thank you

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

How long ago after verbally agreeing did you cancel and how long ago was this?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I asked the person in April how much it would be to take pictures at a wedding for me in April. I told him the date, but no clarification took place until tge 14th October when he passed his business card that I could pass to my son to see if it was what he wanted. My son contacted him on the 18th October to ask for a portfolio, then on the 23rd I told him it wasn't what we wanted.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. It is entirely possible for a verbal agreement to be legally binding but for that to happen it must meet the criteria under common law for a contract to be formed. That requires there to have been an offer, an acceptance, consideration and an intention to create legal relations.

From what happened, I doubt these would have been satisfied. All you did was discuss the possibility of him providing the services and you were still at the stage where you were being shown his work and deciding if he is the right person for it. You did not agree to proceed with his services, did not give any indication you were happy to engage him and it is very unlikely that a contract would have been formed on that basis (i.e. just by being sent a portfolio for you to consider).

There is nothing stopping him from making a claim but it would be difficult to succeed in it based on what happened