How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 66492
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I'm wondering if you can help me.

This answer was rated:

Hi there
Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I'm wondering if you can help me. I'll be leaving my current job tomorrow. I currently have a hire van used for work only. I have damaged the van whilst at work.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Work have then asked me to get a quote for fixing the damage, which I sent into my regional manager
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have sent the quote to them but no work has been carried out on the van yet.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They are now trying to take the 680 pounds from my last paycheck for work that hasn't even been carried out yet.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Have they provided a breakdown of this cost? Also, how long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a break down of the cost on the quote
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've worked here for 5 years

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Can I just check if your contract allows them to deduct that money from your pay?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The contract states that any damages caused we have to pay the excess on the insurance which is £500

Thank you. Whilst the work may not have been carried out, if they have a reasonable estimate of what it would cost to fix it, they can proceed on that basis. The key is whether they have the contractual right to make such deductions from your pay. However, in your case it states that you have to pay the excess only, which is £500, rather than the full £680 they are trying to take. Also, the contract must clearly state that they are allowed to deduct that from your pay – it is not good enough for it to simply state you have to pay it – they have to be very clear that it is allowed for it to be deducted from your pay. If there is no such wording, then any deductions from your pay would be unlawful and you can challenge them and recover it.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's answered my questions, thank you for you help. Its very much appreciated.
Take care

All the best

Ben Jones and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you