31090051

My mother died and did not mention her dog in the will as

My mother died and did not mention her dog in the will as all the family knew he was to come to me. I was hospitalised with a life threatening illness the day my mum died and a week later while I was still in hospital my niece took the dog from my mothers house and is refusing to return it as she was the original owner. My mum gave me the documents for the dog and told me to rregister him in my name when she passed. He is registered in my name but my niece refuses to hand him back. What can I do?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: xscotland
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: my son has been trying to convince my brother (her father) that his role of executor is to carry out my mums wishes not just appease his daughter.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of

I am a solicitor in Scotland. The passes according to the will. If there is no named beneficiary then the person the residue of the estate goes to is the person entitled to the dog. Your niece did not own the dog at the date of death and has no right to the dog. If necessary the executor can raise court proceedings for delivery of the dog. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for helping you today.