How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14089
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

We had a break in at our house on Monday 28/10 and since

This answer was rated:

Hello, we had a break in at our house on Monday 28/10 and since then the Landlord hasn't chance neither lock or door and we are living in this unsafe situation
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We had a visit from a carpenter who took the measures but I don't really trust him since we don't know how long it will take. No paperwork so far
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: 58 Romney Close, SE14 5JH
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We also have other problems like mice from a month and heathers not working and still nothing has been done

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore I maybe delayed in replying.

what has he said about it?

can you put new locks on in meantime?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Actually we never spoke with the landlord but with an agent, she said that "he doesn't want to be bothered" so we don't really know what's going on and what we can do

You would normally required under the terms of any tenancy agreement to replace any of the landlord’s fixtures and fittings which are beyond repair. That would include the lock.

So the chances that you are actually responsible for this. Some landlords will replace the locks because they want to be in control of the keys but I would be very surprised if it was the landlord’s liability.

If it is the landlord’s liability, and he will do it, then you have to do it yourself, pay the bill, and then pursue him for the cost thereof, through the Small Claims Court is necessary but you cannot withhold rent or otherwise you will be in arrears.


There is no heating or hot water, then you need to complain to the Environmental Health Department at the local authority and ask him to declare the house unfit for human habitation.

Similarly, with the infestation but if the mice existed before you moved into the property, then it’s the liability of the landlord but if they featured after you moved in, then the liability is yours although generally, the local authority provide a lot of assistance.


Can I clarify anything else for you?


I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.


Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.


You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.


It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.


It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!


There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!


All you need to do is press Submit.


Thank you.


If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.


Best wishes.





F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you