Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have written music for a dance company and now we have

I have written music for a dance company and now we have parted artistically can they still use my music without my permission
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: Nothing in court and have yet to talk to an attorney
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really no
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This music was written over the last 5 years. As well as music for the performers I was also responsible for the "soundscape" production. Do i have any rights over that as well? I composed all of this on my own and recorded it onto my laptop and sound cloud.
Hi thank you for your message, did you sign a document handing over the rights to the music?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No I have signed nothing. A bit of background should help you here. We started this theatre group in college 5 years ago and it expanded to touring and Edinburgh Festival dates. I write about 60/70 mins of music and sound for the performers to dance and act to. We have now come to an impasse in the creative and public side and I have decide to leave. I also do not want them to use my music without my permission. Basically where do I stand in telling them that they cannot use my music for show I have done in the past.... in the future!?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am afraid I cannot call you at the moment
Hi thank you for your message, as you have not signed anything all rights to the music reside with you. Therefore, you can tell them any unauthorised use will be a breach of your rights to the music. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much
Glad I could help, I would appreciate if you could please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
sorry!!