How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16763
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have began a tenancy on 8 October, some agreed works

This answer was rated:

Hi I have began a tenancy on 8 October, some agreed works should have been originally done before my entry and that has created some inconvenience.
However there is still pending the repair of a frame holding the blinds in the living room requiring urgent attention as it could fall down any moment and also cause further damage to my belongings. This repair was not agreed in the contract but the landlord agreed to do in wirtten form almost three weeks ago.
On top for three weeks I have not been able to use the oven as there were no switches and those has been installed only 2 days ago. Also other minutia but all the same impacting a far use of the property like ra missing knob for a small storage space in the hallway as well us exposed wires from the living room ceiling lamp, agreed after the beginning of the tenancy are still pending.
The check in report also confirms that a proper professional cleaning was not done before I entered the property ( by the own admission of the cleaners that where there when I did the check in report with check in company, claiming they were not instructed to do so.
Further a living room window showing condensation and not meeting Resident association requirement has not been yet changed. I cannot literally see thru the glass for the condensation between the glass layers, I offered the landlord to accept to wait a bit longer (1 months) if he could refresh part of the hallway that has bad marks reported in the check in but that unfortunately I did not put as a condition for the tenancy agreement as they escaped my attention.
My thinking is that being a landlord myself (abroad) at least a gesture should be made to recognize the inconvenience that all this dragging has caused me including repairers coming back and forth doing nothing. The agency tells me that I have no right to ask for anything as
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Hampton Wick London KT1 4EE Richmond upon thames borough
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** your response

Was it is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I feel I was dealt in an unfair way so:
1) Should I pay the full rent as due tomorrow for the second month of the tenancy despite the pending issues described above
2) what else can I do ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The agency say I have no rights as those repairs where not a condition in the tenancy agreement and the property is habitable. Though have been agreed by the landlord, after the check in , but not yet carried out almost after a month. Should I pay the full rent to tomorrow ? I feel somehow all this is unfair.

You should but you can sue for compensation

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Jamie, I have done the rating as requested and tipped as well. How may I sent and the losses due to the non execution of the expected works at the property ? As say a percent of the tenancy ( tenancy per month is £1150 per month but how can I quantify the losses for have not being able to use the oven and the blinds in the living room for risk of all the structure falling down ? I can quantify however the missed professional cleaning at around £100
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry I meant how to quantify the losses due to the non execution of the expected works at the property ?

You try and put a figure on it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.