Miles Bentley
Miles Bentley, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), CPE, LPC
102609820

I Have contents insurance, and I dropped my TV, I rang the

Customer Question

I Have contents insurance, and I dropped my TV, I rang the insurance company, but because I hadn't changed my address, they won't honor the claim. I changed my address, and then rang them again, and they said because I changed my address after the accident they will not cover the claim.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing, looking for advise
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Just to clarify the matter. I live in the UK, and haven contents insurance that covers accidental damage.

I have had this policy running for approx 2 years, I moved address, but did not inform them ( as they never sent me any paper work, or e-mail )
I dropped my TV recently, and I remembered I had contents insurance, So I called them and told them, but because I was at a new address, and hadn't changed it. They will not honor the claim. I have a certificate that says I am covered from the 5th of November 2019, and the accident happened on the 5th of November.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Miles Bentley replied 13 days ago.
Good Morning, I am sorry to learn about your situation.
I am a Qualified Solicitor with over 20 years of experience in the UK.
I am reviewing your question and will revert back to you today. Please note this is an email service and not a live chat so there may be some delay. Thanks.
Expert:  Miles Bentley replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon,

Please note that that contracts of insurance are based on "utmost good faith" and as such an Insurer could argue that they refuse to cover on the basis that you failed to advise them that you had moved address. One of the reasons that they may state is the risk and thus premium, may have been different at for new address, thus they will not indemnify and pay for your loss.

You can challenge your own Insurers and make a complaint direct to them as to why they are refusing to indemnify you.

So can make a formal written complaint to your Insurer (you may need the help from a loss adjuster or Broker to guide you through the minefield of the insurance contract) and if you get no joy contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

Please see the following it fully explains the process and has a template letter

www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/making-a-complaint-about-an-insurance-company

The Financial Ombudsman Service will act as a Mediator, make a decision on the settlement, please see http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

You may also contact your Local CAB (Citizen Advice Bureau) office to assist you for free in this matter.

I trust this assists, If you need a CALL to discuss and more in-depth advice, then please let me know.

If not then kindly leave a Positive Rating so JustAnswer can credit me for my time.

It was my pleasure to assist you today.

The Rating can be provided by clicking the STARS on the top of your Screen

Expert:  Miles Bentley replied 7 days ago.

Good Afternoon, further to my answer above I do not have appeared to revise a response.

Can I assist you any further? If not then would you kindly provide a Positive Rating by clicking the STARS on the top of your screen.

Many Thanks.

Miles.