Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I'm looking to raise a formal grievance to complain from

Customer Question

Hello, I'm looking to raise a formal grievance to complain from bullying, harassment and discrimination at work. I need help to write it and I also need professional advice on how to handle the dispute at work.
JA: Have you discussed harassment at work with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Yes, I have discussed with with my manager, his manager and HR. the problem is, my manager became one of the bullies. HR advised me to write a formal grievance letter.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee, not a member of a union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I work for an asset management firm, one of the biggest in the world. I'm still employed, my work is flawless and I have written evidence to support my claim. Also, all this has affected my physical and mental health. As a result, I've started therapy with a psychologist and I'm on medication.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Please explain the situation you are in, in some detail. Also, how long have you worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Ben, thank you for your quick response.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

No problem. Please provide the information requested

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have been employed for 1 year and 4 months. I'm still employed. The issue is ongoing and involves my manager, a senior colleague and three other company employees. I started complaining from bullying and harassment to my manager back in Dec 2018. He assured me it will be dealt with and told me there was no need to report to HR. However, this didn't happen and I reported it to HR but during an unofficial catch-up. I was scared for my job and very distressed. In parallel, I was recovering from an eye surgery which my manager and the rest of bullies knew about. Because of all the stress I attended A&E with severe eye pain. The pain could come back at any time which was always on my mind on top of everything else. My manager suddenly sent me to do a personality review test with HR and added to my mid-year review that I need to become a "purveyor of calm". He also suddenly denied me personal development opportunities he promised in June (the CFA). In contrast, my colleagues got such opportunities and are always involved in project work. So I'm the bullied person and the action my manager took was to send me to HR training and suddenly started adding things to my mid-year review and our catch-up summaries that we never discussed. He was trying to frame me as problematic and even told me I need to work on how I am perceived as I am coming across as aggressive. Despite the glowing feedback about my work and contribution to the company that I have been receiving from senior people across the business, I'm denied any development opportunities and am not considered for promotion. On 29th October my manager told me during a 1:1 meeting that the reason I'm denied such opportunities is my complaint to HR. The response to my question about the way I was treated he said it was "one-off" and said that one of the bullies is "just like that". In other words, he justified such behaviour on the basis of it was one-off from this guy and he is just like that. The rest of people were bullying me for months. He joined them and became one of the bullies.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Re A&E, I attended multiple times and my surgeon also told me to avoid stress as it is affecting my recovery. I'm still recovering thanks to all this.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also, on one occasion a senior colleague humiliated me in front of everyone. He compared me to another employee who happens to be eastern European as well. Quote "you are just like Valeria. She never listens, that's why she never learns"
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also my accent was mocked
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My manager never told me there is a problem with my work and I asked him many times. And if there was, I was never told. therefore, I feel I'm discriminated based on gender and ethnicity as I am treated differently to my male British colleagues
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Just to clarify we are a basic chat service though and all I can do is advise you of your rights and options, but I cannot realistically help you in drafting a complaint as that would be beyond the services we offer.