How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9102
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

If someone has made an unjust allegation for harassement

This answer was rated:

If someone has made an unjust allegation for harassement causing me distress and legal costs for advice what is the legal action to claim compensation for that and the libel?

Someone has alleged harassment against you? And in turn that caused you distress?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is in relation to an allegation and they lose then you would have a case. Either in criminal law (e.g. they allege that deliberately to cause you distress) or in a civil law context, where you can sue for damages to reflect distress. If there is any merit in their allegation or if the court finds in their favour, you would not have any comeback though.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was made a while ago and has been investigated thoroughly with no such proof

OK, that would mean there may be grounds to issue a claim against them in that case.

JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What claim?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For legal advice costs, distress and libel?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All in a damages ?

Yes, all costs which flow as a result of their conduct, which would include legal costs and then damages for distress. Libel is defamation so harm to reputation needs to be proven but a no win no fee law firm should be able to help - I can recommend any of these firms :

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good morning
I do not have time to search for a law firm. I need to post the claims Monday as the jr application has been processed. Can you help me with the questions I am asking about these two seperate claims
1. Injuction
2. Damages

Hi, if you can post new questions to the site and mark them for my attention, I will pick them up.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have marked one for your attention asking about what to send if I need to amend the grounds of a jr.
Could you go there please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is one question about the kinds of injuctions too.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are two questions about how to amend the grounds of a jr.
One is in your name as well. Could you please pick them both up so that I can ask a few details please.
I am sending everything tomorrow.

Thanks, ***** ***** form would be used to amend - copy attached. The court fee is £255 payable to HMCTS.

There is useful commentary here:

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the article. I understand better that it has to be a formal procedure.
Only that in the case of my jr the grounds do not really need to change but additional information now exists that actually supports the existing ones.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is because some of the defendants had not provided their response after the letter before the claim which has now been received from all.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The jr had to be submitted because two decisions one from Natural England and one from the Environment Agency were three months old and could not wait anymore.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
actually because of this I made two jr applications.
Application 1 with defendants:
Natural England and Defra as one
Environment Agency
IOPC whose grounds were finalisedAnd in section 8 a separate jr application for the LGO and police whose grounds could not be finalised.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But I send a draft of them and after receipt of the final responses the grounds are indeed valid as the final decisions stayed the same. I would just like to elaborate a bit more but it is not so important maybe.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What I would though like to do is swap the order of defendants.
As they are many there will be at least two hearings.
Do you think I can do this?

It would be at the court's discretion but it is possible, yes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will write to ask them thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are two more same questions, can you just pick them up please and if I want smt more I will go there and ask.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is one question about Natural England. Could you please pick it up?

I can't seem to find it but I am not knowledgeable regarding Natural England in any case. Another expert should pick it up later - when was it posted as I cannot see it? I can at least take a look to see if I can help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you see the two about the amendment if grounds on the 5th and 6th of Nov. Please pick them up otherwise they will be closed . I have something more to ask.