UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I purchased a London flat, including the freehold of the

I purchased a London flat, including the freehold of the building consisting of 2 flats. The process was completed on 8 May 2019. I was not happy with my solicitor for various reasons but in particular with the fact that he charged me £420 for serving a section 5 notice. This notice needed to be served by the vendor's solicitor to the leaseholder of the other flat in the building before it could legally be offered to me (as I understand it). How can I be charged with this?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The purchasing process was completed back in May and I paid the solicitor minus the charge for Section 5 notice. I have now found out that the property is still not registered in my name with the Land Registry.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Brent - 112 a Bathurst Gardens, London NW10 5XH
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have other complaints but want to limit myself to this issue for now

Yes, you should not be charged for a S. 5 notice as it is not your obligation to serve such a notice.

I would advise you to lodge a formal complaint using the Solicitor's complaints policy and if they do not resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you may then take the matter to the Legal Ombudsman.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there a fee to be paid for late registration with the Land Registry? As it stands the leasehold and freehold of the property are still registered in the vendor's name. It is now 6 months after the completion date
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would prefer to get your response in writing

No, there is no late registration fee payable.

Please click on 5 stars