Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Can a company cancel an order I have paid for? I'm in the UK

Can a company cancel an order I have paid for ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in the UK but the company is in the US
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I paid for the order about a year ago since then I have worked on the marketing and they said I took too long so cancelled it but I was in communication with them saying no dont cancel
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats everything

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

What was the order for? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Forskolin. It's a plant extract sold in capsules like a vitamin
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They said you are taking too long to complete the order so we're cancelling it in 10 days unless we hear from you. So I contacted them to say dont cancel I'm still finalising things. And then a few days later I emailed again saying can you clarify something for me and they said order had been cancelled. And no refund! The form I signed when I purchased the goods did not stipulate they could cancel at any time

How did you pay for it?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I filled out this credit card authorisation form although I used a debit card. And then they processed the transaction

Thank you. There is nothing stopping them from cancelling the order but they would have to issue a refund. The problem is that if they fail to do so, you are stuck in a difficult position. The main reason for this is that the company is based in the US and the only way for you to try and recover the money is by making a claim. However, making a claim against a US company will be complex and expensive as you have to make a cross-jurisdictional claim, try to transfer judgments between different countries with completely different legal systems and so on. It is possible but unlikely to be worth it financially considering what you are probably trying to recover. Ideally you would have paid by credit card as then you are covered by the card provider but with a debit card you are much more exposed. You could still approach the bank to see if they would be able to do anything but be prepared that they may not be.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That's very helpful, thank you. One final thing: I used their services to help with labelling and packaging the product. Cost me about $100 or so, should I also expect to get this refunded? Sorry actually one more thing, on that form it says the deposit wont be paid back - that was about 200$ and made up part of the payment for the product (800$) should I get the full 800$ back or 600$ because 200$ of it is a deposit?

Unless you had a specific obligation to complete the order within a set period of time, it would mean that they are the ones cancelling the order and should refund you in full. Otherwise, it would be too easy for them to just keep cancelling orders and keeping the deposit without having done anything. Had you been the one cancelling then the deposit could have been retained