SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I just wanted to pay £5 for a trial account and the payment

i just wanted to pay £5 for a trial account and the payment has been declined
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk, sheffield
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i provided my card details i my bank asked me to approve the transaction i have done it but it looks like the payment has been declined
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i need some advise

Hi thank you for your message. What is your legal issue and I will see if I can assist you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
hi
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i have got a question about my bank

Hi, I am a solicitor in England and therefore likely to be able to assist since you are in England however I would need to know your issue as I only specialise in certain areas of the law

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they gave my bank statement to other customer (by mistake)

How did you get to find out?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they have contacted with me this morning

That is a breach of your rights under both the data protection act and the GDPR 2018. The bank statement will have contained your name and address and your account details thereby compromising not only your safety and security but your finances. what have they done to ensure you are not compromised by their breach?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
so, the have said the person who get my bank statement needed to provide the bank statement to someone else
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
at this moment we dont know what has happened with our documents
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
and what details have been provided (how many moths were included etc)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
to be honest, bank only informed us about it and they opened the complain procedur
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
bank said that if we want, we can move our accounts to other bank, or close the current bank account and open a new one in the same bank
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they advised we need to monitor our bank account and contact with them when unauthorised transaction will be shown on the online statement
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they offered some kind of help when something happen

That is quite unacceptable. They would have need to close the account and to provide you with a different account to ensure you are not compromised. But the fact that more than one third party has your personal details without your permission is very concerning. you should lodge a formal complaint and request confirmation of what they have put in place to ensure you are not comnpromised and you should seek compensation for the stress and anxiety caused by their breach of your rights. Should they not give a satisfactory response you will have to escalate to the financial ombudsman service and also to the ICO.

I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the besr

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
but someone has got our bank account details, address, knows our transactions
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
do you know how kind of compensation we can expect?

Yes and that is why I am guiding you to not let it pass as just an inadvertent error on the part of the babk. It has happened, it cant be reversed all you can do is to now seek their assurance that they have exercised every precaution to trace where the statement was sent and to ensure it is not used inappropriately. The bank will not be able to do that 100% and you will be stressed and anxious over it because of the nature of the details leaked.

No there is no ball figure for compensation for stress and anxiety. Each matter depends on its facts and what affects you in a certain way may not have the same impact on the next person. Its whatever figure you feel will go far to give you some satisfaction.