plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Can you help me a general outline for a contract law problem

Customer Question

can you help me a general outline for a contract law problem question?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the uk at university
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: can I send you the problem question for you to go through it?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no not really just to help with a contract law problem question
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is the question I need help with as shown below:

Question 2:
You are working as a trainee solicitor at Diplock and Jones Solicitors. A client, Len Goodfellow, arrives for an appointment with the senior partner and yourself.

Len explains to you that he is a judge in the popular TV show ‘Dance to the Stars’ but that as he is leaving at the end of the current series he has been working on a new venture. He set up a company ‘Len’s Dance Ltd’ to establish a new dance school which will be for adults who have been inspired to try ballroom dancing after watching the show. He wanted to buy a vintage glitterball to recreate the glamour of the ballroom and searched through the advertisements in a ballroom specialist magazine. Len found the following advertisement: ‘Glitterball for sale. £1,000 or nearest offer. Telephone Marco on 01273 400500’.

On Friday the 9th of October, Len telephones Marco and after some discussion Marco says offers the glitterball to Len for £800. Len asks Marco two questions – the first is whether the glitterball comes with a stand; the second query relates to the price as Len tells Marco he can only pay £600. Marco tells Len that it does come with a stand, but that he cannot agree to a price as low as £600 and says that he will accept £700. Len says that he will think about it.

Two weeks later, at 8pm on Friday 23rd October Len e mails Marco saying that he will pay the £700. Later that evening Len sees Marco and Marco told him that he had already sold the ball to someone else because he had not heard from Len and their discussion had been a bit uncertain. Len believes he made a valid contract with Marco.

The other issue Len discusses with you is of a more personal nature. He spotted an advertisement in ‘A Gentleman’s World’ magazine on 1st September by Livewell Ltd which said:

‘We know it is a struggle maintaining your waist size as you reach your senior years. We can help you drop a waist size and we want to prove it to you! Eat our special cereal three times a day for two weeks as per the instructions on the box and if you have not dropped a waist size we promise you a £500 holiday voucher’.

That same day Len purchased the product and ate the cereal according to the instructions. A week after he had started eating it one of the other judges at ‘Dance to the Stars’ spotted Len eating the cereal and told him that their son, who works for Livewell Ltd, had said that the offer had been withdrawn. Len decided to ignore him and continued eating the cereal. In fact, Livewell Ltd had decided the offer was too generous and placed an advert withdrawing the offer in a local paper on the 7th September but Len does not read local papers. Two weeks later Len was horrified to discover he had gone up a waist size and wishes to claim the £500 voucher.

After the meeting, the senior partner asks you to prepare a note, outlining the key legal issues and relevant authorities which will assist her in preparing her written advice for Len on the glitterball and the cereal offer.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 days ago.

Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is Peter, I’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

The issues here are around offer and acceptance, clearly. Do you have a text book on contract law?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok cheers can you help me with an outline of the question and a full written up answer, and no I unfortunately do not have a textbook yet
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

OK. The link below sets out the principles of offer and acceptance for you and includes case law examples.

You need to go through the question and work out which parts of the law apply.

I'm not going to offer to do this for you, as it's important to work through it if you are going to be able to discuss/ understand the law. It's pretty straightforward though. Even if you don't get it completely right, the fact you have engaged with the principles and the case law will go in your favour.

http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk/Offer-and-acceptance4.php

I hope this helps?

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 days ago.

Can I assist you further with your question?

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (top right of your screen) I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 1 day ago.

Hello.

This is just a quick message to ask if you have time to provide a rating for me, as this is what will credit me for my time responding to your question.

Obviously a positive (4* or 5*) rating would reflect best on my efforts to resolve your question for you!

Thanks in advance.

Peter