Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

If an expartner accuses you of harassement after writing

If an expartner accuses you of harassement after writing three upset emails about how he has treated you in the past (emotionally abusive) where do I legally stand?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk. He made false accusations in his email of what I apparently did, and also after telling me via email that he wished no contact, he sent me a copy of the email and one one of mine. Breaking his own nee rules. I feel threatened and harassed myself and also he has abused me emotionally and pschologically for years.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None apart from talking to a friend.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this is the most important information.

Hi thank you for your message, has he reported the matter to the police as harassment?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No, but he has threatened to do it if I contact him again. I didn‘t contact him since.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok so do you have any advice? There have been numerous behaviours towards me that were very damaging to my emotional health, to be additionally accused of harassement does not feel fair to say the least.

Hi thank you for your message, in terms of harassment it is a criminal offence and requires a course of conduct, defined as two or more incidents that cause or have caused harassment, alarm or distress. In determining whether the incidents in question cause alarm or distress a court is entitled to look at whether the reasonable person would have been distressed in those circumstances, as well as, whether the particular individual was in fact distressed. Therefore, if your ex was to report previous messages, he might satisfy the police that he was in fact distressed but may struggle with the argument that the reasonable person would also have been distressed. That said, the best thing is to not contact them again and if they contact you, ignore it or report it yourself to police if it is harassing to you. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I feel I need to bring some fair balance into the situation to be able to feel safe again.

Hi thank you for your message, well if he contacts you then report it to the police and in the meantime don't contact him. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks!

Glad I could help, take care.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
please cancel phone call request, I accidentally clicked it and don‘t know how to cancel it.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am not used to the process on here, yet, I think it would be better to look at the details with someone in person, thanks.

Hi thank you for your message, I understand I cannot cancel the request but I will not call you and the money for the call will be refunded.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate this.

No problem, take care.