Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have recently returned from a holiday where my suitcase

Customer Question

i have recently returned from a holiday where my suitcase was lost. I have been trying to make a claim for my lost possessions ever since and have been told that without receipts for all of the items in my suitcase they will not pay a penny in compensation. Who keeps receipts for everything they buy?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: WS66DS Walsall
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have submiited the claim document and given the PIR refernece i was given at the airport where my luggage did not turn up
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Are the insurers correct in what they say because if so my insurance is basically invalid. Who keeps receipts for every item they purchase, nobody. So if you can confirm that they are allowed to use this clause to avoid paying out then Ok I will have to accept that but at least I can cancel the insurance in question and gain some compensation by way of a refund and save on the annual fees I have been paying out since the year dot because travel insurance is obviously not worth the paper it’s written on
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No I don’t request a call at that price
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Are you still there
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

Thank you. Unfortunately, this is pretty standard amongst insurers. You have to see it from their point of view – if a claim is made, without any proof of ownership, people could claim for just about anything they want, without ever having owned it or lost it. So to reduce the risk they can indeed ask for proof of ownership of the items you are claiming for. Not everyone may keep receipts for everything they buy but a lot of purchases are made online these days, where receipts are stored and can be retrieved. It won’t cover everyone’s circumstances but, as mentioned it is entirely standard for insurers to demand proof of ownership for anything that is claimed, otherwise it is way open to abuse.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you