SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have just received 2 letters from a debt collectors called

Customer Question

Hi I have just received 2 letters from a debt collectors called Credit Limits International for traffic fines in Italy from 4.5 years ago. I don’t know what to do.
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: i was holidaying in Florence and I got fined for driving through camera controlled areas. At the time the car hire company took 400 euros off my credit card in June 2015 for traffic offences. I then cancelled my credit card after this. Now have. 2letters both requesting another £391.12.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No they are just asking for payment of the fines
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don’t think so
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your enquiry and your patience.

You would need to check with the car hire company if the fine they took was actually paid over to the authorities. If not they have to reimburse it to you as you will have incurred that on your credit card.

Once you have that information you can then respond to the debt collector. If the money wasnt paid over you will have no option but to settle the claims because they soon escalate with the debt collectors' fees for tracing you.

I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best